Monday 8 July 2013

For the Best?


It's nearly a month since I found out my son is in prison. Yesterday I had a phone call. I'd almost given up on hearing from him , so I was a bit shocked. I can't tell you what a relief it was to hear his voice . 
Strange as it sounds , I think going to prison is going to be the best thing that could have happened to him. I always thought prison was there to punish people but I think in his case it will give him the kickstart he needs to get clean and turn his life around. 
I can honestly say that I haven't heard him sound so animated and alive for years. He sounded like he did before the drugs. He told me that he's on the detox wing and that he's down to 20 mg of Methadone and plans to be completely off of it within five weeks. That's the first time he's ever had a proper plan to get clean. He told me he's put on weight because he's actually eating properly, he has a job and he's been to the gym every day. He tells me he feels human again and that he's thinking about a future . This is the best news I've had in months. Even though he's miles away and locked up I feel like I've got my son back. I will go and visit him soon . I never thought I'd say I was looking forward to visiting someone in prison.
All I can do is be there for him when he gets out. I hope that having some routine in his life will give him the strength to continue when he gets home. I think it will be ok this time. 



No comments:

Post a Comment